error trying to install p5.12-locale-gettext

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 4 12:13:22 PDT 2012

On Oct 4, 2012, at 12:18, Wes James wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> Wait... do you want to use MacPorts as root or as myuser? If as myuser, did you compile MacPorts yourself and use the appropriate --with-install-user and --with-install-group options?
>
> I want to use macports via normal install,

What do you mean "normal install"? Do you mean using the installer package? Another normal way to install MacPorts is to build it from source.

> but this is what I end up having to do to get wxwidgets installed on Lion.
>
> sudo installer -pkg ~/Downloads/MacPorts-2.1.2-10.7-Lion.pkg -target LocalSystem
> sudo chown -R myusername /opt/local

That's not supported. The installer package is intended to be used for a root install only. It has never been tested the way you're using it so I don't know if there might be unforeseen consequences.

The way to install MacPorts for a non-root user is to compile it from source and supply the --with-install-user and --with-install-group options to the configure script.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/InstallingMacPorts#InstallMacPortsfromsourceasanunprivilegednon-rootuser

> port install p5.12-locale-gettext

And this succeeds? The subject of this thread was "error trying to install p5.12-locale-gettext", so I take it this problem has now been resolved?

> remove # in front of build_arch i386
> sed -i '' -e 's/#build_arch/build_arch/g' /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf
>
> port install python27
> sudo port -f activate python27
> # optional line below
> # port select --set python python27
> port install wxwidgets
>
> # put # back in front of build_arch
> sed -i '' -e 's/build_arch/#build_arch/g' /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf

It should not be necessary to manually manipulate build_arch in macports.conf. The wxWidgets port contains the line "supported_archs i386 ppc" which informs MacPorts that it must set the build_arch to i386 for that port automatically. MacPorts will also automatically rebuild any of wxWidgets' dependencies for the correct architecture. In terms of building for the correct architecture, only running "sudo port install wxWidgets" should just work. There are of course several other problems with wxWidgets relating to its compatibility with Snow Leopard and later versions of OS X which we are working on addressing