Can pip be used to install python packages?

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:04:21 PDT 2012

Peng Yu wrote:

> I remember it used to be the case that python packages has to be
> installed by port. But the problem is that python packages from
> macports are not very updated.
>
> Since there is py27-pip, can I use pip to install python packages so I
> can have the latest packages from http://pypi.python.org/pypi?

What I do is use pip (or easy_install) but I tend to use virtualenv &
keep everything out of the way of the system Python, etc.

Virtualenv seems to be the recommended way to go nowadays but I'm no
real pythonista so I expect somebody will point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
But masters, remember that I am an ass.