Why pip does not use gcc and g++ automatically? (Mountain Loin)

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 14:31:15 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have the following ports installed and I setup virtualenv correctly.

sudo port -v install python27
port select python python27

sudo port install py27-pip
sudo port install py27-virtualenv
sudo port install py27-virtualenvwrapper

But when I install a package within a virtual environment, I have to
explicit specify the compiler as the following. Otherwise clang or
clang++ will be used and the installation will yield error. Is it
because macports was compiled by clang and clang++. Is there a way to
that pip use g++/gcc as the default?

CXX=g++ CC=gcc FFLAGS=-ff2c pip install scipy

--
Regards,
Peng