question about zmq

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Oct 23 13:01:31 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 03:42:44PM -0400, Comer Duncan wrote:
> port echo dependents:zmq22
>
> Can't map the URL 'dependents:zmq22' to a port description file ("Can't
> parse url dependents:zmq22").
> Please verify that the directory and portfile syntax are correct.
> Error: Can't open URL 'dependents:zmq22' as a port
>
> So, the first query gives a strange response does it not?

Yes it does, because I didn't give you the correct command to run. Sorry
about that. Please run
  port dependents zmq22
instead.

> port -v installed zmq
>
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   zmq @2.2.0_0 platform='darwin 12' archs='x86_64'
>
> And the second confirms that zmp 2.2.0 is installed. I am running on a
> macbook pro under Mountain Lion for several months now.

Actually, this is the old version of zmq, and it has been deactivated
during the update (which means its files are not present in /opt/local).
If zmq was active the line would look like this:
  zmq @2.2.0_0 (active) platform='darwin 12' archs='x86_64'
You can run port -v installed zmq22 to see that zmq22 has been activated
instead and is providing the same version you had installed before.

Thus, for any installed ports or software you build locally, there
should be no differences (which was what the whole upgrade process
intended to do).

> I can surely uninstall zmq22. The only application that I am aware
> which needs zmq is the development version of ipython. ipython is
> important to me, so I don't want to make a change which will cause
> problems when the next git pull is done (I do that every week or so).

As I said, if you just leave it like it is right now (with zmq22 active
and zmq deactivated or even uninstalled), you shouldn't notice any
difference.

> I looked on the ipython.org page for zmq to see whether they make
> explicit reference to a version of zmq and found  none. So I looked at
> the zmq page and see that 3.2 is the current stable version. So I am
> inclined to nuke zmq22 and install zmq version 3.2.

Zmq 3.2 is very recent and not completely compatible. Take care when
upgrading, it might break things.

--
Clemens Lang