Newb

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Oct 28 20:51:37 PDT 2012

On Oct 28, 2012, at 9:23 PM, Michael_google gmail_Gersten <keybounce at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> FWIW, both VMware and Parallels claim to have made great advances in their Windows 3D acceleration support.
>>
>> Like bringing honey from freezer to room temperature? I haven't benchmarked any of it, but for general purpose (i.e. GPU accelerated GUI) it's quite fine. But the gamers are still not all gung ho about it, so I'd think video editing demands would be much the same or greater possibly.
>>
>> I'm a big fan of VM - that's all I use on my Mac. It's vastly easier to setup, maintain, and is safer data integrity wise too. But I don't consider it so much from a performance perspective.
>
> My intended use is to use a video editor to work with movies. The plan
> is to use Quicktime or SnagIt (if TechSmith has gotten it to work
> better, anyways) to record video and audio, and a network chat program
> to record player discussions. Then toss it at an editor that is easier
> to use than iMovie (more pain than it's worth).
>
> I don't need high performance video until it's time to save. Exporting
> on iMovie wants the GPU, so I suspect something similar will happen in
> editing. But it does not bother me if it takes 2 hours more to process
> a 30 minute video if it saves me 8 hours of editing headache.
>
> So, I don't need _real time_ GPU access. Batched access is fine.

Give VM a shot. I'd check if the tool you're going to use makes use of GPU acceleration,  if so what, then look up an appropriate benchmark comparing the Parallels, Virtual Box (free), and VMWare offerings. If Virtual Box is even in the ballpark of the other two, you can try that fairly low consequence. If you don't like the performance, it's just a matter of trashing the virtual disk file.

Whereas for Boot Camp the partitioning alone makes me reach for a pill bottle. If you do go down the road of Boot Camp, don't touch the disk again with either Apple Disk Utility, or a Windows disk utility for the purpose of resizing anything. It'll end in data loss.

Chris Murphy