install samba3 failed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Sep 2 02:25:18 PDT 2012

Please Reply All so that the conversation stays on the mailing list and does not divert to private mailboxes where I'm likely to overlook it.

On Sep 1, 2012, at 10:47, John Roach wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2012, at 2:55 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Aug 28, 2012, at 19:05, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>
>>> You were almost there, use sudo:
>>> sudo port -f activate expat
>>
>> But before you do that please read:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#xmlwf
>
> Hi again…I have read the MacPorts info…I had installed SMBup 1.4.1 I think that's the problem…
>
> and my lack of terminal commands…
>
> new errors…new terminal output log

The terminal output shows the expat activation error again, you forcing the activation as Bradley suggested, and then encountering a similar activation error with another popular port, libiconv. This is further confirmation that another software package has installed software unannounced into MacPorts' prefix, as explained in the above ProblemHotlist entry. It will be simplest if you follow the instructions in the last paragraph of that ProblemHotlist entry: uninstall MacPorts and all ports completely, then start again, and do not reinstall the software (presumably SMBup) that caused this problem.