Error installing ncurses

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 3 19:38:43 PDT 2012

On Sep 3, 2012, at 21:24, G R Lewis wrote:

> After not using mac ports for a long time I'm trying to catch up. I got through the phase of switching to the new Xcode.app and doing a selfupdate, but now this happens:
>
> $ sudo port upgrade outdated
> --->  Computing dependencies for gettext
> --->  Dependencies to be installed: ncurses
> --->  Activating ncurses @5.9_1
> Error: org.macports.activate for port ncurses returned: Image error: /opt/local/bin/captoinfo is being used by the active ncursesw port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate ncurses' to force the activation.
> Error: Failed to install ncurses
> Please see the log file for port ncurses for details:
>    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_ncurses/ncurses/main.log
> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: ncurses
> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
> To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
>

> Any tips on what to do? TIA.

Looks like you have not updated your MacPorts in a long time.

ncursesw was replaced by ncurses 18 months ago. We try to keep upgrade paths in place for a year, but beyond that time, you may run into issues upgrading. Please selfupdate and upgrade your outdated ports at least yearly.

The solution in this case is to force the uninstallation of the now-unnecessary ncursesw port:

sudo port -f uninstall ncursesw