Error installing ncurses (haven't updated in a LONG time)

G R Lewis groblewis at mac.com
Mon Sep 3 19:50:29 PDT 2012

Thank you!

I see this is probably going to be an iterative process to get everything back in sync.
Uninstalling ncursesw allowed the upgrade process to go farther than before, but now there seems to be a problem with Perl 5:

First this:
--->  Computing dependencies for perl5.12
--->  Fetching archive for perl5.12
--->  Attempting to fetch perl5.12-5.12.4_1.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/perl5.12
--->  Attempting to fetch perl5.12-5.12.4_1.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from http://packages.macports.org/perl5.12
--->  Installing perl5.12 @5.12.4_1
--->  Activating perl5.12 @5.12.4_1
--->  Cleaning perl5.12
--->  Computing dependencies for perl5
--->  Fetching archive for perl5
--->  Attempting to fetch perl5-5.12.4_0+perl5_12.darwin_11.noarch.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/perl5
--->  Attempting to fetch perl5-5.12.4_0+perl5_12.darwin_11.noarch.tbz2.rmd160 from http://packages.macports.org/perl5
--->  Installing perl5 @5.12.4_0+perl5_12
--->  Cleaning perl5
--->  Computing dependencies for perl5
--->  Deactivating perl5 @5.8.9_0
--->  Activating perl5 @5.12.4_0+perl5_12
Error: org.macports.activate for port perl5 returned: Image error: /opt/local/bin/a2p is being used by the active perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate perl5' to force the activation.
Please see the log file for port perl5 for details:
    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lang_perl5/perl5/main.log

And down a bit further:
Computing dependencies for autoconf
--->  Dependencies to be installed: perl5
--->  Activating perl5 @5.12.4_0+perl5_12
Error: org.macports.activate for port perl5 returned: Image error: /opt/local/bin/a2p is being used by the active perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate perl5' to force the activation.
Error: Failed to install perl5
Please see the log file for port perl5 for details:
    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lang_perl5/perl5/main.log
Error: The following dependencies were not installed: perl5
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1

And, a question: doesn't Mac OS X already include Perl?

Again, thanks for helping.