Port re-index?

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Sat Sep 22 08:43:00 PDT 2012

On Sep 22, 2012, at 8:09 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I ran selfupdate very late last night & it started what looked like a
> port re-index:
>
> `Creating port index in
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports
> Adding port aqua/AppHack
> Adding port aqua/AppKiDo
> Adding port aqua/AquaLess...`
>
> I sent a SIGHUP when it got down to about:
>
> `Adding port devel/hs-tagsoup
> Adding port devel/hs-terminfo
> ^C`
>
> so this left me wondering wondering if this is a normal re-indexing of
> all ports?

Yes, after port updates the ports tree (port sync or port selfupate) the index must be updated to pickup changes to portfiles.

> Any help appreciated.

$ cd /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports
$ portindex
# Depending on permissions you may need to use "sudo portindex".
$ cd ~-

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)