Port re-index?

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 09:08:37 PDT 2012

Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2012, at 8:09 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I ran selfupdate very late last night & it started what looked like a
>> port re-index:
>>
>> `Creating port index in
>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports
>> Adding port aqua/AppHack
>> Adding port aqua/AppKiDo
>> Adding port aqua/AquaLess...`
>>
>> I sent a SIGHUP when it got down to about:
>>
>> `Adding port devel/hs-tagsoup
>> Adding port devel/hs-terminfo
>> ^C`
>>
>> so this left me wondering wondering if this is a normal re-indexing of
>> all ports?
>
> Yes, after port updates the ports tree (port sync or port selfupate) the index must be updated to pickup changes to portfiles.
>
>> Any help appreciated.
>
> $ cd /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports
> $ portindex
> # Depending on permissions you may need to use "sudo portindex".
> $ cd ~-

Thanks, Bradley.

Yeah, I'm used to the port file being updated but this looks like
*every* single port that MP provides.

I'll just run it before lights out tonight & let it do its thing.

Cheers,

  Phil...

-- But masters, remember that I am an ass.
Though it be not written down,
yet forget not that I am an ass.