Port re-index?

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 06:52:25 PDT 2012

Phil Dobbin wrote:

> Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>> On Sep 22, 2012, at 8:09 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, all.
>>>
>>> I ran selfupdate very late last night & it started what looked like a
>>> port re-index:
>>>
>>> `Creating port index in
>>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports
>>> Adding port aqua/AppHack
>>> Adding port aqua/AppKiDo
>>> Adding port aqua/AquaLess...`
>>>
>>> I sent a SIGHUP when it got down to about:
>>>
>>> `Adding port devel/hs-tagsoup
>>> Adding port devel/hs-terminfo
>>> ^C`
>>>
>>> so this left me wondering wondering if this is a normal re-indexing of
>>> all ports?
>> Yes, after port updates the ports tree (port sync or port selfupate) the index must be updated to pickup changes to portfiles.
>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>> $ cd /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports
>> $ portindex
>> # Depending on permissions you may need to use "sudo portindex".
>> $ cd ~-
>
> Thanks, Bradley.
>
> Yeah, I'm used to the port file being updated but this looks like
> *every* single port that MP provides.
>
> I'll just run it before lights out tonight & let it do its thing.

Just as a quick follow up to this, I did indeed run selfupdate at end of
play last night & it followed its normal pattern i.e. it didn't attempt
to run a full port index just the normal (truncated):

`sent 64 bytes  received 636 bytes  280.00 bytes/sec
total size is 512  speedup is 0.73
--->  MacPorts base is already the latest version

The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you
should run
  port upgrade outdated`

Cheers,

  Phil...