/Library/Frameworks/ (was Re: mythtv backend firewire support)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Sep 23 17:11:56 PDT 2012

On Sep 23, 2012, at 13:28, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> Quick question for those who know(TM):  so if we build the AVCVideoServices.framework (outside of MacPorts), is it appropriate to store it to store it in /Library/Frameworks/ ?  From the look of it, third party software uses this folder for frameworks but I can't quickly see a definitive answer on the Apple Developer site.

Why not build it with MacPorts, and put it in ${frameworks_dir}?

We usually discourage users from putting things in /Library/Frameworks (that is, we actively encourage them to remove things from there) because ports might opportunistically use them, just ports might opportunistically use libraries in /usr/local.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#usrlocal