MacPorts gpg-agent causing strange hardware behavior

Derek Ashley Thomas derekathomas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 23:21:16 PDT 2012

I recently discovered after upgrading to 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 that gpg-agent
as installed with MacPorts causes strange behavior on my MacBookPro. I am
having a hard time tracking down a fix for it, so I wanted to ask some
advice.

The problem is that whenever `gpg-agent` runs to collect a password, it
causes my keyboard+trackpad to become intermittently non-functional
(stalling for 2~10 seconds at a time, 1~4 times a minute). As soon as I
kill the agent (`killall gpg-agent`) the problem stops. I installed gnupg2
from gnupg website (which also installs gpg-agent) with the library
dependencies of MacPorts, which did not show this problem. Therefore, I
think the problem is specific to the MacPorts installation of gnupg2 or
gpg-agent.

Admittedly, the behavior is quite strange. Are there any thoughts or
suggestions on how to track this problem down? I would love to be able to
just simply install through MacPorts for ease, but that is not an option if
my keyboard and trackpad become non-functional as a result.

Thanks