MacPorts and Brew

Alex Santos santoscork at me.com
Mon Apr 1 08:09:06 PDT 2013

Hello

I recently installed MacPorts because I wanted to check it out.

I have had Homebrew installed for some time and it has been working fine for months on end.

After trying some basic things in MacPorts without issue I entered "brew doctor" in terminal and it came back with the following:

-
Warning: You have MacPorts or Fink installed:
  /opt/local/bin/port

This can cause trouble. You don't have to uninstall them, but you may want to
temporarily move them out of the way, e.g.

  sudo mv /opt/local ~/macports
-

I followed the instructions and entered sudo mv /opt/local ~/macports

Now when I type brew doctor it comes back with the following:
Your system is raring to brew.

So everything is ok again with Brew.

I don't want to keep using the mv command to move macports from ~ to /opt/local. Is there anyway to resolve this?

Kindest regards
Alex