trouble installing gdb (7.5)

David Barto DBarto at visionpro.com
Tue Apr 9 05:33:33 PDT 2013

I check the information on gdb and know that I'd like to update from the MacOS version, which is quite old.

After performing the 'install' action, gdb doesn't show up in /opt/local/bin.
So I 'uninstall' it and try the install again, same result.

What is going on? Is something in my port package broken?
	David

503_ port info gdb
gdb @7.5 (devel)
Variants:             universal

                      it executes -- or what another program was doing at the moment it crashed. GDB can do four main
                      kinds of things (plus other things in support of these) to help you catch bugs in the act: a)
                      start your program, specifying anything that might affect its behavior, b) make your program stop
                      on specified conditions, c) examine what has happened, when your program has stopped, d) change
                      things in your program, so you can experiment with correcting the effects of one bug and go on to
                      learn about another. The program being debugged can be written in Ada, C, C++, Objective-C, Pascal
                      (and many other languages). Those programs might be executing on the same machine as GDB (native)
                      or on another machine (remote). GDB can run on most popular UNIX and Microsoft Windows variants.
Homepage:             http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/

Build Dependencies:   gettext, zlib
Platforms:            darwin
License:              GPL-3+
Maintainers:          dweber at macports.org, openmaintainer at macports.org
504_ sudo port install gdb
Password:
--->  Cleaning gdb
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
--->  No broken files found.
505_ ls /opt/local/bin/gdb
ls: /opt/local/bin/gdb: No such file or directory

506_ ls /opt/local/bin/gdb*
168 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  82080 Apr  2 05:43 /opt/local/bin/gdbus
  8 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin   1352 Apr  2 05:43 /opt/local/bin/gdbus-codegen

507_ sudo port uninstall gdb
--->  Deactivating gdb @7.5_0
--->  Cleaning gdb
--->  Uninstalling gdb @7.5_0
--->  Cleaning gdb
508_ sudo port install gdb
--->  Fetching archive for gdb
--->  Attempting to fetch gdb-7.5_0.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/gdb
--->  Attempting to fetch gdb-7.5_0.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from http://packages.macports.org/gdb
--->  Installing gdb @7.5_0
--->  Activating gdb @7.5_0
--->  Cleaning gdb
--->  Updating database of binaries: 100.0%
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
--->  No broken files found.
509_ ls /opt/local/bin/gdb*
168 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  82080 Apr  2 05:43 /opt/local/bin/gdbus
  8 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin   1352 Apr  2 05:43 /opt/local/bin/gdbus-codegen

David Barto
dbarto at visionpro.com