port info problem

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Apr 9 05:59:10 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-09 13:23, Federico Calboli wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2013, at 12:02, Aljaž Srebrnič <g5pw at macports.org> wrote:
>> well, that is because in your variants.conf you have disabled x11 (-x11), but the default variants of R-framework specifies +cairo, which requires +x11.
>
> I know what variants I have disabled, and I do not want to change them.  All I am trying to do is to get some info about a port, and I am gobsmacked my ability to get info about a port is tied to my variants choices.

[...]

>> In the meantime, you can check out the port information by entering:
>>
>> $ port info R-framework -cairo
>
> Thanks, that kind of does it, but port info should be variant independent -- it's just damn info after all!

No, the output is not independent of the variants. Selecting a variant
changes the output given by 'port info', most often the required
dependencies.

For the info command, the Portfile is evaluated with the variant
selection specified on the command line and/or from variants.conf.
That's the intended behavior.

As an alternative, there is also 'port info --index' which shows
information from the PortIndex only, without taking any dynamically
computed information into account, for example options set in variants
or selecting default variants.

What you noticed there is a bug in the Portfile and needs to be fixed by
its maintainer. The default_variants +cairo should not be applied when
-x11 is selected.

Rainer