MacPorts wants to install apple-gcc42 on 10.6 all of a sudden?

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 02:07:39 PDT 2013

Hello,

I've been using MacPorts for years now, under 10.6 (which I'm still running). To my knowledge it has always used Apple's gcc-42 for building, and never attempted to install a duplicate copy of that compiler.
I've installed XCode 4.2 *in parallel to my Xcode 3x* the other day, and today MacPOrts insists on installing apple-gcc42.
What gives? Is this because Xcode 4.2 has been detected, and no effort is done to check for the presence of gcc-42? If so, is there anything I can edit/delete so that MacPorts doesn't detect Xcode 4.2? Otherwise, how to prevent getting a duplicate on my disk, which is likely to take more space than I care to spend on yet another gcc copy?

Thanks in advance,
René