MacPorts wants to install apple-gcc42 on 10.6 all of a sudden?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 08:47:39 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM, "René J.V. Bertin" <rjvbertin at gmail.com>wrote:

> > As said, if there is, this is unsupported. You should instead file bugs
> > for the ports that break with clang so they can have clang or broken
> > versions of it selectively blacklisted.
>
> Sure, but apart from that a user can have good reasons to use a compiler
> (and/or options) of choice, no? Just one of them: I was amazed to see how
> much better autovectorisation has become in gcc 4.7 - in one benchmark of
> code taken from Perian, the 'scalar' version of a YUV conversion routine
> all of a sudden executed as much faster as a handcoded SSE2 version as that
> hand-coded version executes w.r.t. the scalar version using gcc-4.2 or MSVC
> 2010 ...

Ask yourself this: is your use case so *very* important that users who are
not as advanced as you --- which is to say, most of the MacPorts userbase
--- should be inconvenienced or even be left with a broken system, so that
your use case is slightly easier?

(If you think the correct answer to that is "yes", I don't want to know
about it. Just to be clear that as soon as you want to set the compiler to
suit yourself, either you are a macports dev or you are not the target
market for macports.)