MacPorts wants to install apple-gcc42 on 10.6 all of a sudden?

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 09:26:54 PDT 2013

On Apr 22, 2013, at 17:47, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> Ask yourself this: is your use case so *very* important that users who are not as advanced as you --- which is to say, most of the MacPorts userbase --- should be inconvenienced or even be left with a broken system, so that your use case is slightly easier?

Thanks for the compliment, and my answer is no of course.
But I don't consider those the only options or possible outcomes. I'll have a look first at how complicated it is to force the use of another default compiler before I'll say more though.

> (If you think the correct answer to that is "yes", I don't want to know about it. Just to be clear that as soon as you want to set the compiler to suit yourself, either you are a macports dev or you are not the target market for macports.)

Macports isn't exactly for the same target market as Debian's or Ubuntu's package repositories either.
And let's be honest, what's the point in having (C) compilers in Macports if they cannot be used by Macports itself? Aren't the people who install them likely to be in the same target market as you seem to put me in?