MacPorts wants to install apple-gcc42 on 10.6 all of a sudden?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Apr 23 15:49:20 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 05:38:43PM -0400, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> What would be the benefit of providing a port for Apple LLVM Compiler
> 4.2?

The benefit would be that ports that still do not build correctly with
clang will also build after Xcode 4.7 has been released without llvm-gcc
4.2, and that's exactly what we're doing:
 - We have a port llvm-gcc42 that installs exactly this compiler
 - newer versions of base to be released with Xcode 4.7 will auto-add a
   dependency on this port if is to be used to compile a port and it
   isn't installed. Those running trunk might already have noticed this
   behavior, because it's enabled for Xcode 4.6 on trunk for testing
   purposes.

--
Clemens Lang