MacPorts wants to install apple-gcc42 on 10.6 all of a sudden?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 23 15:53:38 PDT 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 17:49, Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 05:38:43PM -0400, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>> What would be the benefit of providing a port for Apple LLVM Compiler
>> 4.2?
>
> The benefit would be that ports that still do not build correctly with
> clang will also build after Xcode 4.7 has been released without llvm-gcc
> 4.2, and that's exactly what we're doing:
> - We have a port llvm-gcc42 that installs exactly this compiler
> - newer versions of base to be released with Xcode 4.7 will auto-add a
>   dependency on this port if is to be used to compile a port and it
>   isn't installed. Those running trunk might already have noticed this
>   behavior, because it's enabled for Xcode 4.6 on trunk for testing
>   purposes.

"Apple LLVM Compiler" is what Apple calls the version of Clang included with Xcode:

$ /usr/bin/clang -v
Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.28) (based on LLVM 3.2svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0
Thread model: posix

We don't have a port for "Apple LLVM Compiler" but I don't think there's a need to since we already have ports for various versions of Clang which are similar enough. (I don't actually know what the differences are between "Apple LLVM Compiler" and Clang. They both support -arch flags, so it's not like the difference between Apple GCC and FSF GCC.)

It is not the same thing as llvm-gcc, which will disappear in Xcode 4.7, and for which we have the port llvm-gcc42.