MacPorts wants to install apple-gcc42 on 10.6 all of a sudden?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Apr 23 15:54:21 PDT 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 6:49 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 05:38:43PM -0400, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>> What would be the benefit of providing a port for Apple LLVM Compiler
>> 4.2?
>
> The benefit would be that ports that still do not build correctly with
> clang will also build after Xcode 4.7 has been released without llvm-gcc
> 4.2, and that's exactly what we're doing:
> - We have a port llvm-gcc42 that installs exactly this compiler

"Apple LLVM Compiler" is Apple's version of Clang. It's not the same as LLVM-GCC.

    % /usr/bin/clang --version
    Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.28) (based on LLVM 3.2svn)
    Target: x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0
    Thread model: posix

In any case, Apple has never released a compiler versioned at 4.7, so it's still not clear to me what René is referring to.

vq