git-core stalling during build

Lee Bast x-lists at asgarda.com
Tue Apr 23 17:37:20 PDT 2013

Doh, I've resolved this, thank you for your suggestions.
	Turned out to be an embarrassingly simple issue though I'm sorry to say. I was doing some other work in a root shell, and while I typically sudo install I also hadn't really thought about it one way or the other either until now, since every other time it hasn't mattered whether I used sudo port install or issued port install from root. Since 1.8.2 under 10.8 though it appears that git-core does not like that, at least on my system. Interestingly under 10.7 on a different system git-core installs just fine under the root shell. Out of curiosity I also tried installing mplayer2 as a stress test since it has a significant number of dependencies, and it also worked without issue.
	All of that is academic though. I don't know why git-core alone amongst everything else would stall in a root shell but using sudo is of course decent practice in general anyway. I feel very dumb for not trying across multiple users on the same system first rather then trying other shells and other systems first.

Thanks again very much for the help.

Lee