Creating a New Port

Jean-François Caron jfcaron at phas.ubc.ca
Wed Apr 24 11:38:22 PDT 2013

Hi, I've been trying to install/compile this scientific program: http://garfield.web.cern.ch/garfield/ and it is extremely difficult.  The various files have to be downloaded directly from the website and renamed, and parts come pre-compiled and parts need to be compiled.  I am wondering how easy it would be to create a port for this program so that it would "just work" when installed on a Mac.  It unfortunately has dependencies on cernlib, which is not available in macports (fink has it apparently).

If I'm having trouble compiling it myself, are the chances slim that a functional port could be made? Maybe if a person more used to fortran/c compiling and linking were to try, it would not be so painful.

Jean-François