root port build options

Jean-François Caron jfcaron at phas.ubc.ca
Fri Aug 2 14:44:28 PDT 2013

Hi, I am a user of the port "root" which has many variants due to the many modular components that can be included or excluded but only at compile time.  ROOT includes a compiler (Aclic) which issues some warnings when using C++11 features like auto and range-based for loops, but it compiles them fine.  Apparently if ROOT itself is configured to be built "with C++11", then these warnings are not issued.

Here is the ROOT help forum post about it: http://root.cern.ch/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15591

I am wondering if it is possible for the root port to be built using the --enable-cxx11 configure flag.  It is probably not worthwhile to create an entire new variant for this, but maybe the variants that use a C++11-compatible compiler can use it (more recent gcc4* variants, and clang)?

Thanks,
Jean-François