mysql5 should be replaced_by mysql55, mysql56 or mariadb

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sat Aug 3 11:57:42 PDT 2013

I would like to see a 'default' database:  my myth-related ports
depend on a handful of other ports that now all default to MySQL 5.1
via 'mysql5':

qt4-mac-mysql5-plugin
p5.1x-dbd-mysql
py2x-mysql

For Myth, MySQL 5.5 is well-supported on other platforms.  Initial
reports say MariaDB is fine but it hasn't (yet) had the extensive
usage that might shake out subtle incompatibilities.  As Bradley
notes, several distributions are now, or will soon, make MariaDB the
default so I expect any such problems will surface fairly soon and be
dealt with.  So I guess I'd be OK with making it our default.

So, would we create a "virtual" port that points to MariaDB?

Question though:  what do we think the implications are of future
MySQL/MariaDB versions?  Right now, I believe there are apps that are
incompatible with specific versions.  If there is a MariaDB 5.6, do
we expect that we'll have to maintain a MariaDB55 and create a new
MariaDB56, and so on?  How quickly would we then change the virtual
port to point to the new version?  (Bearing in mind that upgrading
major versions sometimes requires a data migration.)  Won't we
eventually be back in the position where the default is long
out-of-date and yet there is resistance to changing it as the change
requires manual intervention and creates risk?

This makes me think that we need a more-flexible system to specify
preferred, acceptable and unacceptable database forks and versions.
I'm not nearly smart enough to say how that ought to work.

Craig