mysql5 should be replaced_by mysql55, mysql56 or mariadb

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 3 13:23:30 PDT 2013

On Aug 3, 2013, at 11:10, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> It appears many major distributions are switching from mysql to mariadb:

Yes, mysql5 is deprecated and should be replaced_by a newer mysql, but not until all ports that currently depend on mysql5 have variants for all available mysql ports. That currently includes mysql5, mysql51, mysql55, mysql56, mariadb and percona. Until then, the default should be mysql5 to reduce confusion during the update, though the update has already taken a very long time.

Just as effort was taken to make all these versions available and installable simultaneously, we already discussed that really mariadb and percona should be versioned ports as well.

Once all ports using mysql5 have these variants, then the default can be changed. I'm fine with making the default the newest mariadb, since mariadb is basically the original developer of mysql taking it in reasonable open-source directions instead of what oracle has done to mysql since acquiring it from sun.