[Macports] QT5 For Mac port

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Mon Aug 5 11:10:47 PDT 2013

Hi Conrad - Qt maintains a blog at < [1]http://blog.qt.digia.com >, and
has GIT repositories for a bunch of different parts of Qt at
< [2]https://codereview.qt-project.org/ >.  I watch the 4.8 branch at <
[3]https://codereview.qt-project.org/p/qt/qt > for important Qt changes
for OSX; I do not watch or track any of the other branches (mostly for
the 5.x series).

The few times I've been in direct contact with a Qt developer, I barely
get the time of day; mostly, they have been critical of the way I've
implemented the qt4-mac port (as dual framework / library, hacked to
include QT_INSTALL_FRAMEWORKS to augment QT_INSTALL_LIBS). They
understand why, but we end up agreeing to disagree. Maybe that will be
different for Qt5? If someone wants to be in touch with the Qt folks
about the difficulties in compiling Qt5 within MacPorts, I'd say to
give it a whirl and see what comes of it. That person will not be me,
most likely, both because of prior experience as well as lack of time
or desire to do so. - MLD