kinit from mac ports not working

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 07:56:39 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Brad Allison <brad.allison at gmail.com>wrote:

> When I try to kinit using macports kinit it returns "Cannot contact any
> KDC from realm...."
>
> When I try to kinit using default built in kinit (/usr/bin/kinit), it
> works and I can get tickets.
>
> So why is macports kinit broken?

Not actually "broken" although I imagine you won't care about little
details like how /Library/Preferences/edu.mit.Kerberos isn't guaranteed to
be 100% compatible with /etc/krb5.conf these days (because Apple's Kerberos
is from Heimdal); and the cases where they're incompatible are almost
exactly the cases where it can't be automagically translated. There may
also be differences in how the two figure out defaults (e.g. when to use
TCP vs. UDP or which DNS names are looked up when a realm isn't defined in
the config file, there being both legacy TXT and modern SRV entries
possible and each implementation follows different rules).

If you're lucky you can just "sudo ln -s
/Library/Preferences/edu.mit.Kerberos /etc/krb5.conf".