ProFTPD No longer works

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 23:11:54 PDT 2013

I just tried to update a local WordPress installation using ProFTPD, but
the connection did not work. Trying FTP locally only give me a connection
refused:

ftp localhost
Trying ::1...
ftp: Can't connect to `::1': Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
ftp: Can't connect to `127.0.0.1': Connection refused
Trying fe80::1%lo0...
ftp: Can't connect to `fe80::1%lo0': Connection refused
ftp: Can't connect to `localhost'

I thought the port was missing so I did a new installation:

sudo port install proftpd
--->  Computing dependencies for proftpd
--->  Cleaning proftpd
--->  Updating database of binaries: 100.0%
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
--->  No broken files found.

Then I tried a command:
proftpd -t
-bash: proftpd: command not found

No success as of yet. Ideas what I am doing wrong?