ProFTPD No longer works

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 17 04:13:06 PDT 2013

On Aug 17, 2013, at 01:11, Jasper Frumau wrote:

> I just tried to update a local WordPress installation using ProFTPD, but
> the connection did not work. Trying FTP locally only give me a connection
> refused:
>
> ftp localhost
> Trying ::1...
> ftp: Can't connect to `::1': Connection refused
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> ftp: Can't connect to `127.0.0.1': Connection refused
> Trying fe80::1%lo0...
> ftp: Can't connect to `fe80::1%lo0': Connection refused
> ftp: Can't connect to `localhost'
>
> I thought the port was missing so I did a new installation:
>
> sudo port install proftpd
> --->  Computing dependencies for proftpd
> --->  Cleaning proftpd
> --->  Updating database of binaries: 100.0%
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
> --->  No broken files found.

Ok, so the port was already installed.

> Then I tried a command:
> proftpd -t
> -bash: proftpd: command not found
>
> No success as of yet. Ideas what I am doing wrong?

I'm not familiar with proftpd but I installed the port and ran the above command and it did produce some output ("Checking syntax of configuration file", etc.), so at least the proftpd binary is missing on your system; maybe other files are missing as well.

What's the output of:

port -v installed proftpd
port contents proftpd

Perhaps the files got deleted after installation somehow. If so, you could bring them back with:

sudo port -f deactivate proftpd
sudo port activate proftpd

Does that help? If not, try rebuilding proftpd:

sudo port -ns upgrade --force proftpd