Trouble installing gdal using configure.args="--with-fgdb=/path/to/FileGDB_API"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 31 09:25:54 PDT 2013

On Aug 31, 2013, at 11:05, Hermann Peifer wrote:

> I want to install the gdal package with FileGDB support and things work fine if I copy relevant third party libraries (libFileGDBAPI.dylib and libfgdbunixrtl.dylib) and header files to /opt/local/lib and /opt/local/include respectively.
>
> However, I do not really want to mess around under /opt/local and prefer to keep third party libraries elsewhere. So I tried to install gdal like this:
>
> $ sudo port -v install gdal configure.args="--with-fgdb=/path/to/FileGDB_API"
>
> Gdal's configure script then checks for /path/to/FileGDB_API/lib/libFileGDBAPI.so rather than for libFileGDBAPI.dylib and subsequently fails with this error message:

> checking for libFileGDBAPI.so in in /path/to/FileGDB_API/lib... configure: error: not found.
> Exit code: 1
>
> Is there something wrong in the MacPort of gdal or rather in the gdal package itself -- or am I doing something terribly wrong?

It is not supported for end users to override portfile internals (like configure.args) at the command line. It is sometimes a useful diagnostic step when we're trying to figure out a problem, but it is not supposed to be an everyday activity for users. What you're doing wrong is that you're *setting* configure.args, *overriding* the dozens of configure.args the portfile already sets that make it function correctly. But there is no syntax for appending to (rather than overriding) configure.args (or any other internal portfile option) at the command line.

Is there a reason why we couldn't provide FileGDB support in the port properly, perhaps as a variant? If not, you could file a ticket in our issue tracker requesting that.