port install painfully slow

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 9 04:36:54 PST 2013

On Dec 9, 2013, at 06:06, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
>>> dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main executable (/usr/bin/sudo) is setuid or setgid
>>
>> I suggest you find out what is setting these, as MacPorts executes most things *not* as root and they can be causing problems (which could be minor or quite major). OS X isn't Linux; setting DYLD_* variables for anything other than temporary specific testing is almost always wrong.
>
> That is very interesting…  I unset the DYLD_* stuff and all is good.  Never, ever seen that before.  We set the DLYD_* stuff on our own for our software running on the Mac.  Our package is a native Linux app, however, a few of us prefer the Mac so an enterprising architect got us compiling on the Mac and it's just worked all along.  Never seen any problems until now.

Don’t use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH; it tells the OS you know better than it where libraries are located, and to look only in the paths you specify; that’s seldom what you want.

You can use DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH as a stopgap measure; it tells the OS to look in the specified locations *after* all the other locations where it would normally look.

The correct long-term solution is to fix your libraries so they’re compiled with the correct -install_name parameter so that these variables aren’t needed at runtime.