port install painfully slow

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Mon Dec 9 04:43:04 PST 2013

>>> I suggest you find out what is setting these, as MacPorts executes most things *not* as root and they can be causing problems (which could be minor or quite major). OS X isn't Linux; setting DYLD_* variables for anything other than temporary specific testing is almost always wrong.
>>
>> That is very interesting…  I unset the DYLD_* stuff and all is good.  Never, ever seen that before.  We set the DLYD_* stuff on our own for our software running on the Mac.  Our package is a native Linux app, however, a few of us prefer the Mac so an enterprising architect got us compiling on the Mac and it's just worked all along.  Never seen any problems until now.
>
> Don’t use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH; it tells the OS you know better than it where libraries are located, and to look only in the paths you specify; that’s seldom what you want.
>
> You can use DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH as a stopgap measure; it tells the OS to look in the specified locations *after* all the other locations where it would normally look.
>
> The correct long-term solution is to fix your libraries so they’re compiled with the correct -install_name parameter so that these variables aren’t needed at runtime.

Ah, right, thanks for the clarification.  We set DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH, not the other.  But, I don't set that in a new terminal.  I have to run a script that sets up my build environment, which is 'usually' the first thing I do.  So popping a new terminal and running port without my build environment works fine.  But, if I set my env and DYLD_FALLBACK… is set, it no workee…  very slow, don't know why.  but the fix, I just won't have DYLD_ set when I run port.  Still, never seen this before and if anyone knows why it's happening, I'd be interested in knowing.

-b