Installing mysql for digikam

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 11 13:44:33 PST 2013

Remember to Reply All so the discussion stays on the mailing list.

On Dec 11, 2013, at 15:11, David Lyon wrote:

> In anticipation of following the guideline which you provided to install mysql5, I thought it best to make sure that I had no installed components of mysql5. As you can see from below, mysql5 is installed. I'm unclear what I should do now. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> I would like to run digikam but if it is too much bother to you or others, due to my lack of sophistication using the appropriate programing language, I can wait until digikam becomes packaged for Mac installation @dmg.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> David
> bash-3.2$ sudo port uninstall mysql5
> Password:
> Sorry, try again.
> Password:
> --->  Unable to uninstall mysql5 @5.1.72_0, the following ports depend on it:
> --->    mysql5-server @5.1.72_0
> --->    qt4-mac-mysql5-plugin @4.8.5_0
> Error: org.macports.uninstall for port mysql5 returned: Please uninstall the ports that depend on mysql5 first.
> Please see the log file for port mysql5 for details:
>    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_registry_portfiles_mysql5_5.1.72_0/mysql5/main.log
> Warning: Failed to execute portfile from registry for mysql5 @5.1.72_0
> --->  Unable to uninstall mysql5 @5.1.72_0, the following ports depend on it:
> --->    mysql5-server @5.1.72_0
> --->    qt4-mac-mysql5-plugin @4.8.5_0
> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend on mysql5 first.
> bash-3.2$ sudo port uninstall mysql5-server
> --->  Unable to uninstall mysql5-server @5.1.72_0, the following ports depend on it:
> --->    akonadi @1.11.0_0+mysql5
> Error: org.macports.uninstall for port mysql5-server returned: Please uninstall the ports that depend on mysql5-server first.

If you want to run a MySQL server, it appears you’ve already installed the needed ports. The MAMP page tells you what to do now to set it up and get it running.

But are you sure digikam needs a MySQL server? What happens if you run digikam without setting one up?