How to make c++ realize empty character constant ''?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 06:18:21 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 5:36 AM, Juhász Ádám <jadaml at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, the GNU compiler is also capable to select the proper language
> and use the proper tools for compillation, so GNU's cpp will compile… I
> believe Fortran, or even Java, if the proper alternative GNU compiler
> present. I've never used this capability this extremely though, and not
> aware wether other compilers are capable to do so.

Most people realized that abusing the *C* preprocessor for languages other
than C/C++ was a mistake, some ten years ago when ANSI specified that the C
preprocessor must actually understand the C language.
The fact that GNU C still allowed it to sort-of work for other languages is
something of a happy accident, not a natural law or an obligation on
anyone's part.