phinze/homebrew-cask on the same system like MacPorts

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Dec 19 05:17:41 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 08:52:52AM +0800, James Linder wrote:
> I hate answers that are opinions without justifing
>
> If you are aware and technical enough to avoid the pitfalls then it's
> easy and works well

It will be easier to avoid the pitfalls after the next MacPorts release
(or now, when running trunk) by using trace mode (port -t ...) for
everything. It does add a little performance overhead, but it
effectively ensures a build doesn't see any files installed in
/usr/local or any other non-standard location.

I've been running this configuration for weeks for every installation
and update I've attempted and it works pretty well for me.

--
Clemens Lang