Macports stopped working after xcode 4.6 upgrade

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Wed Feb 20 22:31:44 PST 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 4:31 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no> wrote:

> Argh. So that doesn't work either, then. path_helper starts with the current PATH, then append pathnames from /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d/* excepting, presumably, patnames that have already been included – so you can't prepend a pathname to PATH this way. Good to know.

For all situations other than fresh login shells, path_helper is all sorts of irritating. For instance, say path_helper initially sets up this PATH.

    PATH=foo:bar:baz

Hurrah. Then you prepend an entry yourself, in your .profile or whatever.

    PATH=quux:foo:bar:baz

If you run path_helper again (e.g., you start an interactive non-login bash shell on OS X), it won't be satisfied that the 3 directories it wants to add are already there. Oh no, it has to make sure they're first in line.

    PATH=foo:bar:baz:quux

Very annoying. I've actually filed a Radar about this.

http://openradar.appspot.com/radar?id=2620402

> (Should this be in the FAQ?)

Considering that we don't recommend using /etc/paths or /etc/paths.d anywhere, I'm not sure it needs to be.

vq