Broken perl configuration

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Feb 21 09:14:00 PST 2013

On Feb 21, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Bruce Miller <bruce.miller at nist.gov> wrote:
>> It might make sense to set vendorbin like we're doing, but leave sitebin alone (allowing people who install outside of macports to shoot themselves in the foot).
>
> I don't know if its really "outside" of macports;
> isn't the /opt/local/bin basically only for macports?

yes. What I'm saying is if you do ${prefix}/bin/perl Makefile.PL && make && make install you're installing something into MacPorts' ${prefix} that MacPorts doesn't know about - it's much better to use 'port' to manage installs and whatnot for ${prefix}

>> Your definition of 'work' is different from mine. I'm not saying that, but I don't think that having scripts/binaries installed into a place that isn't in $PATH means that something is broken.
>
> So you do think that people should modify their PATH
> everytime they install or update software?
>
> How would a script installed via a portfile
> handle this?  Is Macports also installing
> a symlink from a standard place to the version
> specific place?

I believe the default behavior is to install a versioned symlink in ${prefix}/bin

> (and if so how is that different
> from the normal non-versioned collision).
> Or does it have some sort of alternatives management
> going on? (as was mentioned in another response)

I believe some specific Portfiles will install an unversioned symlink in ${prefix}/bin IFF there isn't already one there.

--
Daniel J. Luke