Broken perl configuration

Bruce Miller bruce.miller at nist.gov
Thu Feb 21 09:30:35 PST 2013

On 02/21/2013 12:14 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Bruce Miller <bruce.miller at nist.gov> wrote:
>>> It might make sense to set vendorbin like we're doing, but leave sitebin alone (allowing people who install outside of macports to shoot themselves in the foot).
>>
>> I don't know if its really "outside" of macports;
>> isn't the /opt/local/bin basically only for macports?
>
> yes. What I'm saying is if you do ${prefix}/bin/perl Makefile.PL && make && make install you're installing something into MacPorts' ${prefix} that MacPorts doesn't know about - it's much better to use 'port' to manage installs and whatnot for ${prefix}

Well, I don't quite say that: My instructions for users that want
to mess with svn checkout is simply
   perl Makefile.PL
   make
   (sudo) make install

Under normal circumstances they'd be getting "the" perl
(with macports, presumably the one isntalled in /opt/local/bin ?)

So, it seems that $prefix IS the one that macports should know about.