X server on Mountain Lion (was: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 24 13:24:35 PST 2013

On 24 Feb 2013, at 07:57 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>> On Feb 23, 2013, at 9:42 PM, Jim Graham <spooky130u at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm still running Lion, until this whole X11 being missing thing is
>> > fixed (I'm not holding my breath, since nobody else seems to think it's
>> > a flawi in ML like I do).
>>
>> You can get an X server on Mountain Lion by installing the "xorg-server" or "xorg" ports, or by downloading and installing XQuartz.
>
> Moreover, ML provides a stub that offers to download and install XQuartz; this is a reasonable way to handle making a component optional.

Personally, I think the move to out source X11 from inside Apple to Xquartz is in some ways a step forward. The official X11 app was always just an out of date version of the Xquartz version anyway, so this move just means the official version is more up to date.

What would concern me is if this was a step to completely killing off X11 support completely.  From what I have seen so far, I think this isn't the case, but it is a concern I think. X11 support is mission critical to a lot of scientific computing, and this is not going to change any time soon. Apple has always been sympathetic to this, and I hope that is maintained going forward. As I said, I have no evidence so far this isn't the case... But...

Chris