Magically-disappearing tclsh8.5

Jim Graham spooky130u at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 15:14:50 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 04:10:42PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2013, at 13:58, Jim Graham wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 02:20:48PM -0500, Lawrence Vel?zquez wrote:
> >> On Feb 24, 2013, at 1:03 PM, Jim Graham wrote:
> >>
> MacPorts has no knowledge of what non-MacPorts files you have that
> might use MacPorts ports.

Obviously.  But it should at least know that fscking around with removing
old versions of Tcl/Tk can and does screw up existing Tcl/Tk code (and to
answer another question I saw, yes, that includes library code that is
written to one version, say, 8.4.x, and may/may not work, or work right, with
future versions of Tcl/Tk unless its code is modified to work with the
new versions.

> If you ask MacPorts to upgrade a port (or all outdated ports), that's
> what it's doing to do.

I think you'll find, as you read on, that we've already covered this in
this thread.

> Yes, some things changed between tcl 8.5 and 8.6. Yes, this broke some
> ports. We had this same issue when tcl 8.4 was updated to 8.5. At the
> time it was suggested that we should make separate tcl84 and tcl85
> ports, and such ports were even submitted and are attached to this trac
> ticket:

> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34826

> But we decided instead to try to fix ports for tcl 8.5 compatibility,
> and that's what we've tried to do again with 8.6.

And how does that help everyone else, outside of macports itself?  As
we all know, and you have said yourself, macports doesn't know (or care)
about any USER apps that it breaks by not continuing to support older
versions of Tcl/Tk.  But again, that seems to have been resolved with
the idea of having ports like the following:

tcl8.4
tcl8.5
tcl8.6
wish8.4
wish8.5
wish8.6

That solves the entire problem.  And for what it's woth, that's the way
FreeBSD's ports and packages are setup (again, just fwiw).

Later,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        MiSTie #49997  < Running Mac OS X Lion >

                "sigh, once upon a time T-1 was fast...."
                           --seen in alt.sysadmin.net-abuse.email