any good audio/video editing apps in macports?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sun Feb 24 15:19:00 PST 2013

On Feb 24, 2013, at 5:58 PM, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:

> On Feb 24 14:51:07, sewebster at gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:
>>> Does that mean that macports installs stuff out of /opt/local?
>>> For example, under /Applications?
>>>

>> Yes.
>
> Do we mention it in the Guide or in the FAQ?
>
> There was this whole debate about how /usr/local is bad
> and /opt/local is good, the "official" stance being that
> under /usr/local, third site installs could hurt macports,
> or macports could hurt them. Isn't that exactly the case
> with /Applications? Maybe even more so, because the
> installers that people click through tend to install
> into /Applications more than into /usr/local?

MacPorts installs app bundles into /Applications/MacPorts. A third-party installer could theoretically clobber a MacPorts app, but it seems highly unlikely that a third-party installer would put something into /Applications/MacPorts.

Anyway, as Jeremy noted in his response, the real issue with /usr/local is opportunistic linking.

vq