Notes...that flash by and are gone...(was Re: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Tue Feb 26 12:34:42 PST 2013

On Feb 26 10:12:57, pixilla at macports.org wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2013, at 3:42 PM, Jan Stary wrote:
>
> > The modification IMHO belongs to port(1) itself:
> > remember what was installed in this run, then
> > print out all the messages (as opposed to printing
> > every message just after the given port is installed),
> > so that they are in one place and the user doesn't
> > have to watch for it or scan the output.
>
> Re-posting all the notes at the end of an install/upgrade run
> may not give all the details you are looking for.

Such as?

If there is notes for a package, it's because the package wants
to say something to the user; the installing user IMHO
is not 'looking for details' himself.

> What if all the dependencies were already installed
> and the current version?

Then none of them was installed in this run (no need),
and there is nothing to display.

> What is wrong with this current functionality for getting at the notes:
> $ port notes depof:kdenlive
>
> or more complete:
> $ port notes rdepof:kdenlive
>
> and less noisy:
> $ port notes rdepof:kdenlive | grep -v "has no notes."

There is nothing wrong with that;
apparently I need to re-read the port manpage.

However, this still requires an action of the user besides 'install';
I believe that the notes of the newly installed packages (if any)
should be displayed as a part of 'install' automatically.