Notes...that flash by and are gone...(was Re: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Tue Feb 26 13:34:07 PST 2013

> The suggested 'port notes' works for a given package;
> for example, if I run 'port install package', I can run
> 'port note depof:package' after that and get all the notes,
> in one place. But:
>
> (1) this should happen automatically
>    as a part of the 'port install'.

Well, we shouldn't put the messages solely at the end because an install can be interrupted for any number of reasons. Upon retry, those packages are then already installed and will not re-emit their messages unless you explicitly ask for them.

Conversely, we'd be spewing twice as many messages if the install isn't interrupted.

I propose a simple counter be used instead of a list: if we encountered any notes during an install, we alert the user to scroll up and read the notes. This avoids duplicate notes while ensuring the user gets a message.