Notes...that flash by and are gone...(was Re: any good audio/video editing apps in macports?)

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Tue Feb 26 13:48:11 PST 2013

On Feb 26 16:34:07, jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org wrote:
> > The suggested 'port notes' works for a given package;
> > for example, if I run 'port install package', I can run
> > 'port note depof:package' after that and get all the notes,
> > in one place. But:
> >
> > (1) this should happen automatically
> >    as a part of the 'port install'.
>
> Well, we shouldn't put the messages solely at the end because an install
> can be interrupted for any number of reasons.

Surely the install process does some maintenance at its exit
(read: catches signals), and can spit out those messages even
if it is exiting due to being interrupted (as opposed to
finishing without error).

> Upon retry, those packages are then already installed and will not
> re-emit their messages unless you explicitly ask for them.

Yes.

> Conversely, we'd be spewing twice as many messages
> if the install isn't interrupted.

Why? If the messages were _only_ printed at the end?

> I propose a simple counter be used instead of a list:
> if we encountered any notes during an install,
> we alert the user to scroll up and read the notes.

Yes, the user can scroll up and look for those messages.
This inconvenience (not that serious of course) is my
whole point here: that the user has to scrool and look
for it.

Isn't it trivial to cat all the install messages to a file,
and cat that file upon exit (succesful or not)?

> This avoids duplicate notes

What duplicate notes?