phinze/homebrew-cask on the same system like MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 1 02:02:59 PST 2013

On Jan 1, 2013, at 02:13, Markus Neuenschwander <guanoapes84 at gmx.ch> wrote:

> I switched back to MacPorts, because brew have to less packaged software. Now found an interesting project about native GUI applications.
>
> https://github.com/phinze/homebrew-cask#readme
>
> Can I install both on my MacBook Air?

I'm not familiar with Homebrew, and I don't know what Cask is, but according to that web page, "A Cask is like a Formula in Homebrew except it describes how to download and install a binary application." In MacPorts there is no distinction; a port will install a binary if it is available, otherwise it will build from source. There's no need for you as a user to decide one way or the other. MacPorts will automatically install ports the best way.