git-annex port?

Kevin Krouse kevin.krouse at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 16:53:55 PST 2013

Hi folks,

I'm interested in adding git-annex to macports and am looking for some
guidance.  I've been a user of macports for a while but haven't yet
created a port nor am I familiar with haskell, which git-annex is
written in.  I've begun reading up on how to create a Portfile, but
git-annex has a large list of dependencies many of which are missing
from macports.  Here is the package description and list of
dependencies:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/git-annex
http://git-annex.branchable.com/install/fromscratch/

I see there are hs-* and hs-platform-* ports, some of which are
duplicated.  It looks like hs-platform-* ports are more recent, but
not all of the hs-* ports are available.  Can the ports be hs-* and
hs-platform-* mixed and matched?  Should the older hs-* ports be
deprecated?

Below is a list of the missing haskell packages that git-annex depends
on.  Should I go about creating new ports for the missing packages or
can I just invoke cabal to install the haskell packages?

bloomfilter, directory, filepath, unix, containers, bytestring, old-locale,
time, pcre-light, extensible-exceptions, sha, base, monad-control,
transformers-base lifted-base, IfElse, edit-distance, process, SafeSemaphore

For added fun, there are quite a few Flag variants (for the webapp and
assistant) which have even more dependencies.

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/git-annex/3.20130102/git-annex.cabal

Help?

Kevin