git-annex port?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 17:36:33 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Kevin Krouse <kevin.krouse at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see there are hs-* and hs-platform-* ports, some of which are
> duplicated.  It looks like hs-platform-* ports are more recent, but
> not all of the hs-* ports are available.  Can the ports be hs-* and

The hs-platform-* ports are part of the Haskell Platform (
http://haskell.org/platform) and are part of a standard "batteries
included" Haskell environment with specific stable library versions.  Most
Haskell-based programs and libraries should target the Platform instead of
on individual libraries, but some quickly evolving packages such as Yesod
may require more recent libraries than are in the Platform.  (I think
current Yesod releases are Platform-compliant at the moment.)  In short, if
there is an hs-* port and a matching hs-platform-* port, you want the
latter; I'm not sure the former are actually deprecated, but unless you
have good reason you should stick to the Platform.  AFAIK git-annex is
Platform-compliant.

bloomfilter, directory, filepath, unix, containers, bytestring, old-locale,
> time, pcre-light, extensible-exceptions, sha, base, monad-control,
> transformers-base lifted-base, IfElse, edit-distance, process,
> SafeSemaphore

directory, filepath, unix, containers, bytestring, old-locale, time, base,
extensible-exceptions, and process are boot libraries for GHC
(hs-platform-ghc in MacPorts) and do not have separate packages.  (That is,
the compiler package requires, and therefore provides, them.)  You don't
need to do anything special to get them; if you install hs-platform-ghc,
you should see them listed in "ghc-pkg list" output.

The rest of the packages in that list are neither boot libs nor part of the
Platform; I believe the maintainer of the Haskell Platform on MacPorts has
a script which can generate a Portfile from a cabal file, which should make
the other dependencies pretty automatic (if somewhat tedious, especially if
you use the web variants which drag in Yesod and thereby conduits).