Re: qt3— qt4-mac conflicting ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 10 17:47:26 PST 2013

On Jan 10, 2013, at 15:56, Eneko Gotzon Ares wrote:

> 1st. Do you think a PowerPC & Mac OS X 5.8 user –like me– can ask MacPorts for help? Most of you surely are running newer machines and systems –now, I cannot–. I don't want disturb MacPorts.

Please do ask for help! Not many MacPorts users have PowerPC Macs or Leopard or Tiger anymore, but there are some, including me, so if there are any problems specific to those older systems perhaps I can help.

> 2nd. If the answer to the previous question is "yes", then here is my problem: installing kmymoney [1] quickly shows this error:
> --->  Computing dependencies for kmymoney
> Error: Unable to execute port: Can't install qt3 because conflicting ports are installed: qt4-mac
>
> What I must do?
> ·Not install kmymoney.
> ·File a bug report.
> ·To uninstall qt4-mac –it seems unwise.

This problem is not specific to PowerPC or Leopard; it would affect any user. Simply: qt4-mac and qt3 conflict, as the error message says. You cannot have both installed at the same time. kmymoney requires qt3, so if you want to use kmymoney, then you cannot also use any software that requires qt4-mac.

However in this case there is already a solution: use the port kmymoney4 instead. It uses qt4-mac.

Qt 3 is very very old. I would be suspicious of, and probably not want to use, any software that still relies on it. Qt 4 was released in 2005.